Saturday, March 19, 2011

Confessions of a Couponer

Growing up, I had always been conscious of saving money. I bought sweaters when they clearanced them in spring, wrapping paper after Christmas, and I even purchased my $160 prom dress for $40. When it came to grocery shopping, I thought that I was getting good deals by buying store brands and coupon clipped selectively - after all, $0.50 off a name brand could not possibly compensate for the increased cost of name-brand items. Every once and awhile I would walk into a good deal, and thought that I was doing well.

But all of that changed one day while I was working in financial aid. I had stepped out of my office for a moment to listen to a segment on The Today Show - a segment which promised a mere 15 minutes a week could save $100 each month. Generally I would have thought this was an exaggerated claim. But if financial aid taught me anything, it was that money follows those who take the time to do their research. So I did some investigating. I started reading blogs such as The Krazy Coupon LadyMoney Saving Mom and Freebies 4 Mom. I read-up on rules and terminologies, and took advantage of a deal here and there.

Everything changed when my husband began looking for jobs at the end of his graduate program. I had left my job to accommodate our plans, but we were really beginning to feel the decrease in income. So I took the plunge, and began taking my couponing more seriously. I never could have imagined what a wise decision this would be. Not only were we able to well, but we acquired a food and supply storage for the first time in our marriage. Most importantly, we learned good spending habits that have significantly reduced our cost of living wherever we have lived.

1 comment: